A Day in the Life of ME



So I’m in the wrong week of the #MTBoS blogging challenge, but what else is new? I basically just wanted to see if I could do it. Here’s my day!

Tuesday, January 19, 2016.

4:10 am Alarm #1 goes off. Realistically I was sort of already awake. I was hovering in-between anxious dreams of my day ahead and the reality it would hold. I was a slacker all weekend (ok, not really – I just actually had a social life for the first time in forever!), so I was worried about stuff getting done. I stayed in bed for a bit, looking through the twitter/fb/ig trifecta. Nothing earth shattering.

4:23 am Stop angsting. Get up. Turn on tv. Mike and Mike wasn’t on because of tennis, so I turned on “castle.” Got in shower. Occurs to me that it really is the middle of the night. Sheesh.

Shower/ blow-dry/ get dressed/ make-up/ get back in bed and play a dumb phone game and look through twitter again/ in no particular order.

5:40 am Go downstairs. Feel happy I put my lunch together last night.

5:46 am In the car. Plug phone in and listen to the BS podcast talking about the weekend’s football (yay for Patriot talk with the biggest homer around!)

6:01 am Arrive at Noah’s Bagels. Make the very difficult choice between a sandwich on Asiago or a chocolate chip bagel with butter. I chose the latter. Sat down and went through a pseudo-quiz I had given my 8th graders. They are having a terrible time with Linear Equations. They weren’t great. I tried to give the best feedback I could.

6:58 am Finished that set of quizzes so I packed up and left for school. (In case you are wondering, I didn’t go straight to school because I am afraid of setting the alarm off improperly. Usually the first people get there around 7. But the bagel shop was GREAT to work in. It may become a regular thing!).

7:13am In my classroom after hauling all my crap in. Unpacked my bag(s). I had brought in a Costco pack of iced tea, so put those away in the cupboard. Went to the office to tell secretary I was going to duck out a few minutes early today. Put lunch in faculty room. Went back to office for 2 envelopes and stamps.

7:22am Finally sit down at my desk. I had 3 more high school recommendations to finish and put in the mail. Got those done and take them to office for outgoing mail. Hit the restroom while I was in the office. Came back to my room and copied some notes off Sarah Rubin’s blog (I sure wish she would blog more!). Went to faculty room to make some copies.

8:33 am Sat down at desk. Looked a little at twitter. Worked on some tests for 7th grade. They are going to KILL me if they aren’t done before their class (spoiler – they weren’t).

8:40ish 8th Grade: Used some of the notes I’d taken from Sarah’s blog. Put them up on doc camera. Switched between that and Desmos and encouraged them to spend some time on Desmos just playing around. The class was pretty impressed when I just plugged in y=mx+b and added sliders. Minds were blown when I hit auto play 🙂

9:30ish 6th Grade: Our warm-up on Tuesday is 24 Tuesday. It’s by far their favorite day of the week. We went over some solutions – looked for and fixed mistakes. They are basically obsessed with factorials. I think they think it’s cool that they know what it is, so they try to incorporate them as often as possible! We took out some work from Friday. We had been working on some Engage NY stuff about multi-step equations. I hadn’t really helped them Friday unless the partners asked, so we went over one altogether and it clicked.

10:25ish Break. Get snack and fill my tervis cup with ice. Work on 7th grade tests.

10:45ish 7th Grade. Kids come in and get Uno card for their seat (oh, the other classes did that, too). Passed out warm-up and the kids worked on visual patterns warm up. Shared solutions. Asked if there were any questions about the homework which I happily stole from Michael Fenton’s blog. Shared a few strategies. Moved on to working on meaning of proportionality through some EngageNY stuff.

11:38ish 5th Grade. Uno cards. Assign jobs. This class is the most excitable class ever. They ALL want to help ALL the time, so we had to assign jobs. Got through that and then talked about last week. A parent of one of their classmates passed away last week, so it was kind of a crazy week and Friday they were at the funeral, so didn’t come to class. Some hadn’t gotten workbooks back and blah blah blah. I gave some different directions, depending where they were with the work. I pulled about half of them to review with white boards. We are multiplying decimals and we reviewed how to know where to place the decimals without counting places.

12:35 Lunch. Went to faculty room to make my lunch – smashed up avocado with pretzels. Yum. Some of the 8th grade boys came in, allegedly for help. Secretary came in and said since it was rainy they needed me to help with coverage.

1:00 pm Went to 8th grade classroom to cover recess. Basically sat and gossiped with the 8th graders for 15 minutes. Good times.

1:20 pm Back in my classroom. Turned on my BS podcast. Tried to get some work done. blah blah blah. Sent a few emails.

2:46 pm Left school.

3:21 pm Got home. Got something to drink and a little snack. Came upstairs to log into a webinar  I had to do for a PLC leadership group for school. My room is used for an art class on Tuesdays, so I had to (wanted to) come home to do it.

3:30 pm PLC Leadership webinar. No comment….

4:30pm Survival 🙂 Spend some time tweeting. Looked at the Tulare county website (shared during the webinar) and some achieve the core stuff.

5:10 pm made dinner. barely.

6:00 pm. Tried to log into Global Math Dept. There were some tech difficulties, so I kind of lost interest.

Now it’s a little after 7:00. I need to hit publish on this and try to start catching up on recording some work. Ugh. Also trying to think of something artsy but non-techy for my elective class. We have Open House coming up and I want them to prettify my already pretty room with some mathiness. I’m not nearly as tired as I thought I’d be by this point, so I will push on as long as I can. But, this morning work thing – I liked it. So I’ll try for an early morning again tomorrow 🙂

Also – I’m not proof-reading, so let me know if there are any glaring errors 😀

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the encouragement https://exploremtbos.wordpress.com/posts/



2 thoughts on “A Day in the Life of ME

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s